High Solids Production – Maximize well recovery with durable, sand resistant lift solutions
Excessive sand and solids in oil and gas wells pose serious problems for some artificial lift systems and for the well’s overall production.
Regardless of their source, produced solids create common operational challenges, including:
- Excessive pump stage wear
- Elevated pump shaft vibration
- Sticking plungers
- Increased risk of mechanical seal leaks
- Pump fouling
- More frequent maintenance
- Greater pulling costs
- Loss of pumping efficiency
Ongoing sand production. Wells completed in soft formations may continuously release sand and fine solids into the production stream. If left unchecked, these solids will cause erosive wear on downhole equipment and accumulate to decrease production rates or eventually, plug the well altogether.
Frac fluid recovery. Getting your post frac fluids out of the ground quickly is a key to reducing formation damage. During flowback operations, the frac fluid contains high concentrations of proppant and formation sand, which must be efficiently processed to avoid damaging downhole pumps and shortening run life.
Apergy's Solids Solutions
Apergy realizes that the best way to avoid solids challenges is to prevent them from entering the downhole lift equipment in the first place.
- Our SPIRIT Downhole Sand & Solids Separator improves pump performance by removing solids before the fluid reaches the pump intake. The separator’s two-stage filtration process incorporates patented, centrifugal motion to capture solids and effectively clean the production fluid in the harshest of operating environments. By lowering the risk of pump fouling and wear, our separators have reduced the frequency of pulling a pump for repair or replacement by up to 300%.
Apergy also has the application expertise and wide range of pumping solutions to withstand solids attack and maximize production rates.
- The Apergy ESP Systems GRINDSTONE® Pumps incorporate enhanced bearing design and abrasion-resistant materials to extend operating range and run life in mild to aggressive solids production.
- Apergy's Sand Flush Plunger Pump eliminates stagnant volumes and improves sand handling capabilities for rod pumping applications. A vertical discharge pushes sand up and away from the plunger during downstroke, while a close-fitting, sharp leading edge keeps particles out of the barrel/plunger interface on the upstroke. The pump has demonstrated a 121% improvement in run life over conventional pumps in high-solids applications.
- The Harbison-Fischer Sand-Pro pump actively combats particulate buildup during operation. Small holes located above and below the upper plunger help equalize pressure around the plunger, which alleviates the impact of particulates as they pass through the pump. The pumps are designed to last significantly longer than conventional pumps—reducing downtime and the frequency of interventions.
- Apergy - Hydraulic Lift’s jet pumps have no moving parts downhole, making them very effective in handling solids from, but not limited to, frac fluid proppants to coal fines.
- Apergy - Gas Lift provides highly flexible gas lift solutions for producing wells with sand and scale problems. High concentrations of solids can be removed by the system by back flowing the well.
- PCS Ferguson’s Plunger Lift solutions include highly durable brush plungers and sand plungers that can travel in the well tubing when other plungers get slowed or stopped.
- The Oil Lift Progressing Cavity Pump is a robust system that can be manufactured in specialty alloys and elastomers for effective production in sandy or high solids wells.